Meet Our Pastor
While we are in a season of searching for a pastor, we have had an outpouring of love from our congregation and community. Week after week we have willing men & women stand in our pulpit and bring messages God has laid on their hearts. We are actively pursuing a permanent pastor, but we are also thankful for this season and are in awe of the way God continues to provide. We will continue to trust in God's provision for our church and leadership.
With a background in playing bass guitar, tuba and saxophone, Wes brings a divine & versatile experience to our choir loft. Wes' creativity doesn't end with music though. He also owns his own business, Hilman Industries, in Morehead.
Along with two children, Andrew & Allyson, Wes has raised a dog, Nikita, a pig, a few cows and several cats.
If you ever find yourself watching the Vice Family Praise Band or Nickell Alley Band, give him a shout! He'll be the one on bass.
In addition to serving as our accompanist, Amy is also a member of the Nickell Alley Band. For over 20 years Amy has taught music education (& more recently, art) at Flemingsburg Elementary. Amy's students love the joy and energy she brings to the classroom. Just as our congregation does!
And... did we mention one of our favorite love stories?
Wes & Amy are engaged to be married!
Disciples of Christ
The Flemingsburg Christian Church officially had two beginnings--one at Cane Ridge in Bourbon County where Barton Stone held a revival with various preachers preaching to crowds of 20,000 or more; the other movement started in Pennsylvania where Thomas and Alexander Campbell, father and son, started a similar movement. Both desired to adopt a name which did not indicate a denomination so they chose Christian in Kentucky, and Disciples of Christ in Pennsylvania. Thus began the journey of a denomination that didn't intend to be a denomination.
Alexander Campbell is said to have preached in Flemingsburg, but the Church officially began when John T. Johnson, Evangelist, rode into town in 1839 with his Bible and hymnbooks and began to preach on the site of the old Lerman Building (now senior apartments). He was joined by Benjamin F. Hall, a local dentist. They received permission to hold services at the Methodist Church on Elm St. but, as the crowds began to build, one night they found the door locked, the blinds pulled and the fire out. The next day they were offered the courthouse and the church was officially organized with 40 members. In 1841, the trustees purchased a lot for a church at a cost of $250.00. By 1896, the congregation numbered 300 members and it was deemed necessary to renovate the church. By making it a "do-it-yourself" project, the renovation project cost $9500. At this time, many of the beautiful stained glass windows were given in memory of loved ones. The first addition to the church came in 1919 when Fellowship Hall, the kitchen and several Church School rooms were added.